Monday, October 27, 2014

Social Networking

Social networking has taken over our lives! Almost everyone is on Facebook and Twitter, but is this a good thing?

In my opinion having a social media profile is OK as long as you watch what you post. Some people post some inappropriate things online which can get them in a lot of trouble. For example, my social media profiles have very specific settings onto who can see what I post and what personal information others can see. I have it specifically set to only some of my close friends can see my personal information such as my cell phone and my home address. Only people that have been to my house and the people who have my cell phone number are the only people who can see this information on my profile.

Should employers be allowed to ask prospective employees for their passwords to social media sites? Is this practice still legal in the United States?

Employers should not ask prospective employees for their passwords rather ask for the link to their social media page. Anybody who is smart will NEVER give out their password to anything!! Even Microsoft or Goggle, huge technology companies will never ask for your password as they can access your account from their servers. Anybody who says they are from a big name company and ask for your password is a fraud and should be reported to the police immediately. I live in the state of New Jersey and this is the law about employers asking for prospective employees passwords:
 
New JerseyA.B. 2878
Status: Aug. 28, 2013; Signed by Governor. Chapter No. 2013-155
Prohibits requirement to disclose user name, password, or other means for accessing account or service through electronic communications device by employers.
 
  
Do you know what your privacy settings are on the social media sites you use? Is there any information being shared publicly that you weren't aware was being shared?
 
 
I do know all my privacy settings on my social networking sites. Anyone under the age of 18 some social media sites have taken action to help protect valuable information of minors but after you turn 18 those settings are out the window and you must go back in and change them. I have everything blocked to the public unless you are my friend. So if a complete stranger was to visit my profile the only thing they could see is my profile picture and my gender, nothing about what I have been posting, my birthday, my address, or my cell phone number. I know what information I have shared on my social media profiles and I also know who can see it and who can't see it so no there has never been any infrmation being shared to the public that I was not aware of. I keep updating my settings as well to make sure personal information stays hidden from strangers. As these social networking sites release newer settings and security features I always check them out to see how I can further protect my sensitive information.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading!